Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Hard of Thinking

On his blog today, Neil Gaiman writes about the US Department of Education's decision to declare almost 200 television shows inappropriate for closed-captioning, and how this doesn't seem to be big news. I know I've seen a couple other blogs mention this, but I can't recall where I first read about it. (Update: It was this post by Kevin Keith at LeanLeft.) The legislation went into effect last October 1, so it doesn't surprise me that it's no longer in Google's news cache except for the Palm Beach Post opinion article, but like Neil I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a stink about this the way there was when it was tried by Mr. Joe-mentum back in 1998. Neil asks that bloggers spread the word, and I'm only too happy to do so. Direct action never hurts either.

0 comments: