Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, February 23, 2004

Backtracking

Oh sure, I mentioned on Thursday (with thanks to Rook) that Haloscan now has trackback capabilities, both to put a trackback feature on your own blog and to manually track back to someone else's (complete with step-by-step instructions on how to do it). But then Atrios mentions it yesterday and suddenly it's news. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield. :) Anyway, Cyndy noted my mention but added that it was all still confusing to her, so I thought I'd suggest people look again at Thursday's updated entry, and am using this entry to experiment to see if I can use Cyndy's and Atrios' trackbacks successfully. And remember, trackbacks and permalinks are two different animals; use permalinks to link to someone's entry on their blog, use trackbacks to talk about that entry and let the folks on the other blog know you're talking about them (i.e., to plug your blog on their site - yes, participating in comments sections does that too, but there are a number of bloggers who have trackbacks but no comments sections). Update: Steve Bates has further explanations here and here.

0 comments: