Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 13, 2003

Window Shopping

Interesting local filler program tonight on NYC holiday window displays, presented by the former early-AM anchor I don't miss at all. I could have done without her but the program itself was pretty well put together; it featured a trip through Spaeth Design (which I had no idea did the actual crafting work for almost all the major department store window displays) as well as plugs for this book and this one, interviews with just about every major designer (99% gay men, it seems, but the one who won the DDI judges' Platinum Award is female, Bergdorf Goodman designer Linda Fargo) and a segment following the FIT contest to design the window in Bed Bath & Beyond's Chelsea store. Based on the special I'd like to see the windows at Saks and Bergdorf Goodman, but I'm not overwhelmed by most of the others, even though I have a greater appreciation for the crafting behind them.

Oh, and speaking of the holiday season: that honeymoon scene in It's A Wonderful Life where Mary confesses that "this is what I wished for?" Robin wants to remind everyone that she whispers that into George's deaf ear. Just so's ya know.

0 comments: