Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, November 29, 2003

Random Thoughts

From an article at Slashdot comes news of a Thai minister who got stuck in his car, a car that just incidentally uses a Windows-based computer system.

If burglers break into your home, and you are an 80-year old woman, what should you do? Well, if you are Jean Freke, you wrestle with one of them, then grab a ceremonial sword and scare them off. Via Daily Snopes.

Doc Shazam tells us about a patient suffering from aortic disection. My only problem with Doc Shazam's blog is that she often forgets to tell us how her patients are doing once the crisis has passed.

Via Boing Boing, you can now turn that stupid singing fish into a stupid talking fish that says whatever you program it to say. You can even use it to represent somebody at the other end of a teleconference line. It makes me think of something out of Harry Potter: Daddy's going to be late coming home from work, so the fish on the wall says, "Hey honey, I'm going to be late!" *shudder*

In Sequence reviews the DC Elseworlds comic book Superman: Red Son, but includes a few wise words about nostalgia for the Cold War in there. Take a look.

Frank Carrera attends WizardWorld Texas 2003, and it sounds every bit as chaotic as most of my convention experiences are. He's also posted the sketches he got, so check them out, too.

Over on my blog today I'm posting my big fat overview of the monthly comic book catalog from Diamond Distributors: "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'll also be posting my Saturday Night Sketch sometime later in the day. Yes, it'll be a sketch of Aquaman.

0 comments: