Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, October 19, 2003

You Can Take It With You...Can't You?

Via Kevin Drum (Happy Birthday, Kevin!!), who sweetly mentioned my Friday Cat Blogging (TM him) again (and who's inspired me to take lots more Datsa/Amy pictures this weekend for future use), if you believe there have been more cell phone deals offered lately than usual, there's a reason. Come Monday, November 24, you'll have cell number portability. If you thought people changed services a lot now, just wait until they can take their numbers with them! I'm amazed that this is going into effect but Las Vegas still doesn't allow my parents to retain their home phone number when they shut down service for the half year that they move back East... My guess is that the next big push will be GSM phones, where I'm sure the companies won't mention that GSM operates on a different frequency band in the US than in Europe, so you'd actually need to buy a tri-band (aka "world roaming") cell phone if you want to use it overseas, and (to avoid excessive charges) buy the proper chip for local GSM service whilst in Europe.

0 comments: