Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, October 16, 2003

Surely You Mean Every Day Is

Today is National Boss Day. Yesterday in a company-wide meeting, after talking about how we all need to pull together and volunteer to help each other (which usually translates into "give Elayne more work"), my boss firmly laid down the law prohibiting personal phone calls and Internet activity while at the office (which unmistakeably translates into "give Elayne no stress outlets"). Therefore, it's unlikely my blog or my husband will be hearing from me until I get home this evening, whenever that is because it'll probably wind up being another 12-hour workday for me. No, of course I don't get overtime. No, no chance for a raise in the foreseeable future, I'm still making what I was before 9-11. No, no call-backs yet in response to the dozens of jobs for which I've applied, so it looks like I'll be stuck come the new year taking two busses and a train just to get to a job which gives me no incentive to work there as it is other than a regular but relatively low paycheck. You'll excuse me if I don't celebrate today's momentous occasion.

0 comments: