Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, October 13, 2003

Cool Things About the Blogs on my Roll, Part 1

I've promised this for awhile, and today being a totally boring day at one of the relatively few offices open in NYC I figured it was as good a time as any to finally get this list together. It's by no means complete, I didn't want to force myself to muse about some of my more recent blog discoveries just to say something (please bear in mind folks, if I didn't love your blog you wouldn't be on my blogroll!) but I wanted to at least start this general appreciation sum-up. I'll go through the Top Six first, then as many of the News+Views as strike my fancy, going alphabetically by first name.

  • Neil Gaiman - The layout and colors, the openness, the kindness, the wonderful wry British humor.

  • Wil Wheaton - The sheer poetry of some of his entries, the wonderful sardonic look at the Hollywood game, the infectious geeky delight with life, his willingness to experiment and bare his soul at the same time. (And hoorah, his comment section is back!)

  • Tom Tomorrow - The way he can make an observation in a sentence or two that would take me a few paragraphs, his brilliant cartooning, his self-effacing self-promotion (I'm informed he's not actually shy, just unwilling to suffer fools gladly, so I guess I'm on the "Put Dan on The Daily Show bandwagon" now), his healthy skepticism, that when he e-mails me it gets me all giggly like a schoolgirl 'cause I've followed his career, like, forever.

  • Mark Evanier - His wealth of wisdom about so many topics from politics to entertainment, the way he seems to be friendly to and about everyone, his facility with language, his knowledge of all things California and many things NY (particularly Broadway shows), his sensitive and informative eulogies to famous people who deserve to be memorialized, his new layout, his wonderful anecdotes, his (I hope) forgiving nature now that I've corrected the error of not writing him in previously...

  • Peter David - His entry headers, his lively comments section, that I can hear his voice when I read his entries.

  • Steve Chaput - Hey, he's my ex-husband and still my friend, I have all kinds of reasons I like his blog.

  • Adam Felber - His New Yawk no-bullshit attitude, his funny set pieces, his plugs for his performances, his comments section.

  • Ampersand - His unabashed feminism, his thoroughness in his multi-part blog entries (like the current one about the wage gap), his generosity to his friends, his chatting about his home.

  • Anne Zook - Another blogger who can say in a sentence or two what would take me forever (which should amuse her because she also has a lot of wonderfully long rants), her comprehensive news roundups, her overall political sensibility which matches mine a lot, her blog design.

  • Atrios - His sheer volume, the earned respect he commands from other bloggers, his amazingly active comments sections, his twists of phrase, his news scoops, his general humor.

  • August Pollak - His sleeping kitty animation, his hilarious bluntness, his youthful energy, his weekly 'toons and the illos on his entry, his sick humor.

  • Avedon Carol - The great balance she strikes between the serious and the silly, the great perspective we get from the POV of an American living in Britain, her literacy.

  • Aziz Poonwalla - His esoteric essays about a world about which I know too little, his intense focus.

  • Barbara O'Brien - Her great daily Hot Links, her Instant Condi Rice picture.

  • Betsy Devine - The fellow-blogger in-jokes I don't understand, the wonderfully bad jokes I do understand, the observations on foreign customs.

  • Bill Connolly - His ability to zero in on stuff that I don't see anywhere else in the blogosphere.

  • Billmon - His layout, his well-thought-out analysis.

  • Bob Goodsell - His reprinting of good editorial cartoons.

  • Brooke Biggs - Her internationalist sense, her new layout, her photo albums, her invaluable insight.

  • Bryant Gries - His layout, his top bar quote, his readability, his patience with actually reading right-wing nonsense.

    I think that'll be it for awhile, I got through most of the A's and B's. Stay tuned for more; I'm determined to get to all the reasons I love Tish Parmeley as soon as possible!
  • 0 comments: