Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Cool Things About the Blogs on my Roll, Part 2

Today I'm going to go through the blogs from my "Kultcha" section. As I mentioned in the comments section to Part 1, a number of those blogs aren't updated very often, and others are mainly for reference, but here's what I love about the ones I try to check daily (as before, they're listed alphabetically by first name or nickname):

  • Bill Sherman - The cheerful purple background and blue boxes, the picture of the big statue (I've been afraid to ask), the reviews of music I don't have time to listen to.

  • Budgie (aka Lee Barnett) - The layout (despite it being LiveJournal which usually means jumping through 2-3 hoops to leave comments), the self-effacing good humor, the beaming friendliness, the true confessions.

  • Darren Madigan - An acquired taste but I appreciate his forthrightness and frequent admissions of his own failings, the fact that I inspired his blog's name, and his cute illustrations.

  • Daryl Cagle - His quality reporting on what's going on in the world of editorial cartoons, his compilations, his general advocacy.

  • Eva Whitley (hasn't updated in a couple weeks) - The white text crawl on the top, the clean layout, her affinity for interesting quizzes and lists.

  • Franklin Harris - The clean layout, the cool links, the friendliness towards folks who don't agree with him politically, the book recommendations.

  • Jason Kimble - This is a tough one; I can't quantify specific reasons I like it, I just do.

  • Johnny Bacardi - Why, he's just so hep, he is. I love his energy, his visual birthday tributes, his rambling essays.

  • Karin Kross - Recently discovered via Neil Gaiman; I like her quirkiness, her outrage at stupid comics, her cool links, and her potential!

  • Laura Gjovaag - As with Mark Evanier's News From Me, Laura's Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog has so many things I like! Her comics reviews, her unique viewpoint - where else can you get in-depth Aquaman analysis alongside news updates on the Marysville teachers strike? - her breezy style, her techie knowledge, her great use of visuals... there's just so much great stuff there that Laura should be on far more blogrolls than she's presently on.

  • Mikhaela Reid (hasn't updated in about a week) - The kick-ass cartoons, the mixing of culture and politics, her circle of friends.

  • Neil Ottenstein - Really coming along for a newbie blogger, also cool reviews of music I should be listening to.

  • Peter Glavodevedhzhe - I mean really, how cool is the conceit that here's this professor from the year 2525 doing research on the strange late 20th and early 21st century? But this is so wonderful and literate besides, it's a must.

  • Sarah Dyer - One of my inspirations from way back; I appreciate her eclectic tastes, her personal musings, and her site in general.

  • Skot - Well, Izzle Pfaff! is just terrifically sick; even saying the name gives me giggle-fits. Skot's humor is cruel but fair!

    And because Tish is getting all pouty and I want to frustrate Robin more because he thinks I should be embedding links instead of referring folks to my sidebar all the time, Part 3 will return to the News+Views section and list Cool Things about some of those blogs in reverse alphabetical-by-first-name-or-nickname order. :) And when this list is all done, I think I'll take the advice Steve Bates gives in Part 1's comments section and try to attach titles to my blogroll that you can see if you put your cursor over each link...
  • 0 comments: