Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, September 21, 2003

Worth the Itchies?

Met my first husband Steve Chaput (link at sidebar) at about 11 AM to take in the NY Is Book Country street fair today; still haven't recovered. Lots of walking atop not that much sleep last night (poor Amy had a hairball that she just had to get rid of between 4 and 4:30 AM) rather wiped me out by 2 PM, and that included breaking for lunch. There's just no shade at that hour when you're in the middle of the closed-off Fifth Avenue with the bright sun beating down on you (not to mention your bookbag handle suddenly going bust). And while I saw a few folks I knew, I bought nothing; by the time we did the back-uptown trek all the signings were in full swing at the more popular booths and you couldn't even get near the books. Good job there's Amazon, I suppose. Overall I wasn't all that impressed, and that's saying something about a fair I used to anticipate for months prior. I tend to judge street festivals nowadays by how uncomfortable I know they'll make my arms afterwards - I get some sort of horrid itching attack on my forearms after I've been outside for awhile with them unprotected, and I have no idea what to even put on them because I have no idea what the itching is symptomatic of. Anyway, after konking for 2-3 hours upon my return I woke up this evening with a very bad case of the itchies, so I'd have to say the fair wasn't worth that, but seeing Steve probably was.

0 comments: