Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Secure in Our Persons

No, this has nothing to do with my last entry (below) but, come to think of it, it might make a good euphemism. Today's NYCBlogger/RNN question of the day is Has Security Improved in NYC Since 9/11? Well, certainly not around City Hall (see my July 23 entry), but I suppose that's beside their point. As I noted on May 4, visible "security" abounds, mostly in the form of National Guardsman patrolling all over the place giving the city a distinct feeling of a police state. But does this show of bravado actually make us feel safer? I'll stick with what I said back then: in my opinion, "they're not there to protect as much as intimidate, on the theory that a fearful population is a docile one." Do I have any better ideas on how to make NYC safer? Not off the top of my head, but then I never claimed to have the answers, and I don't think it's necessarily incumbent on someone to provide solutions every time they point out a problem, particularly if it's not in their particular area of expertise.

0 comments: