Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Sherman's Follies

As many readers know, I grew up on the songs of Allen Sherman. (Just check my July 14 entry, for instance.) Sherman has delightfully "ruined" more standards for me than I can count. So I was intrigued by this article in the L.A. Times (via both Mark Evanier and Lis Riba, links at sidebar - you may need to try Lis' link twice, it almost never activates the first time on any of my computers, and I can't get to it at all from my primary work machine) talking about not only the 40th anniversary of "Hello Muddah Hello Faddah" and the inspiration for that song (Sherman's son Robert) but giving a pretty good synopsis of the novelty artist's life as well. As the L.A. Times requires registration before you can read any of their articles, Lis has taken care of that for you - just log in using the member name "corporatemedia" and the password "stillsucks" (thanks Lis!). Update: Heh, that member name and password works for NY Times online articles too. Lis, you're a total treasure!

0 comments: