Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, July 26, 2003

Blogathon 2003 - Post #1
Welcome to the Camp, I Guess You All Know Why We're Here
Happy Blogathon Day! Today a number of folks will be blogging for 24 hours straight, posting every half hour or so, to raise money for various charities. It's a strange reflection, I suppose, on how relatively sedentary a culture we've become that an endurance event that, in the past, might have been accomplished only via in-person gatherings or actual exercise now consists of people from (theoretically) all over the world promising to stay awake essentially sitting and staring at their keyboards (which doubtless many folks have done anyway).

I'm not big on sleep deprivation, to tell you the truth. I didn't get as much sleep as I might have wanted last night, but no surprise there, I rarely seem to. Nor have I really prepared anything to discuss. I've brought in a few comics to review, I'll be inviting folks to discuss topics (if Haloscan behaves itself) a la Linda Richman, and I'll be perusing the links on my sidebar for inspiration. I've got the earplugs in for now, to be replaced by headphones (thanks to Robin hooking them up) once I slip the Firesign CDs into the computer, and I'm pretty much ready for anything. Join me, won't you? Thanks.

0 comments: