Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, April 28, 2003

Communitarian

On Saturday, Elaine of Kalilily (link at sidebar) noted how "The weblog community is very much like a neighborhood," and "Getting together to help out neighbors who need our help can work as well online as it can in the real world." That also holds true for just plain being nice, like sending your online neighbors unexpected surprises. On the heels of getting off to a presumably good start with my real-life upstairs neighbors this past weekend, I just received a package from Amazon at work this morning. It was a copy of What Liberal Media? care of my blogging neighbor Anne Zook at Peevish (link at sidebar) wishing me a happy Secretary's Day! As I said last Wednesday, I was totally being facetious about asking for PayPal tips and wish list contributions, so to find that someone whose blog I admire so much actually purchased this gift for me... well, it's still boggling my mind, as well as propping up my already-solid faith in the kindness of "strangers" who become friends thanks to this lovely technology. Thank you so much, Anne! And everybody who isn't yet reading Peevish, please make it a point to go there daily, Anne's writing and analysis - including her discussion of the abovementioned book - is top-notch. (And I'm not saying that in the hopes that she'll buy me the Segway or the VAIO next...kidding!! honest!!)

0 comments: