Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, March 13, 2003

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Here's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself say: Elvis Costello should get his own talk show. He positively shone last night guest-hosting for Letterman (who's still out with the shingles), and he was witty and wry and capable and confident and it was a total delight. We stayed up through Eddie Izzard's stint on the couch, and there wasn't one dull moment, even throughout the interview with Kim Cattrall.

Thanks to everyone participating in the informal poll I posted yesterday; please continue to comment! I think y'all are starting to change my mind; as cute as I think this particular wordplay is I'm more and more inclined not to use it again. Which, as you can imagine, is just killing an unrepentent punster like me. :) And I forgot to add yesterday how, as long as "we're" being all jingoistically anti-French, I've yet to see any of these idiots suggest giving back the Statue of Liberty. It's no more or less stupid, after all. Update: Okay, Bill Connolly found an editorial cartoon that thought of this too, so sue me. :)

In other personal news, despite this and this (respective thanks to Ampersand and Lisa English), I finally opened a PayPal account, although I can't figure out how to obtain the code to put on my sidebar in case I want to install a "tip jar" or whatever they're calling it nowadays. Can someone out there help via e-mail? Update: Thanks, Atrios!

0 comments: