Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Eric's On!

Hope y'all caught Eric Alterman (link at sidebar) on The Daily Show last night; terrific interview/conversation among like-minded folks, so refreshing amid all the pro-war propaganda. I sheepishly admit I sorta squealed like a fangirl when Jon Stewart introduced him; this is the first time since I've been blogging that someone on my blogroll has been on TV (Al Roker excepted). I love that Stewart started with something like "So you've done this well-researched book refuting these claims and myths, my question is: what makes you think people will care about the truth?" It was sardonic and witty and just brilliant through and through. Eric will be on a Nation Institute-sponsored panel this evening, along with Janeane Garofalo, Stanley Crouch, Grover Norquist and Ira Stoll, debating the subject of his book, "What Liberal Media? Truth and Bias in the American Media's Coverage of War and Peace." More info here. Admission's free, it starts at 7 PM but the doors open at 6, I get out of work at 5:30 and it's like a 2-block walk to the CUNY Graduate Center, so chances are very good I'll be there. (Besides, SciFi will doubtless rerun the last part of Children of Dune umpteen times, or Robin can set the VCR.) Who's with me? E-mail me if you're attending and we'll sit together. I've got my black Firesign Theatre tour jacket today, and am wearing a bright pink short-sleeved silk shirt (um, in honor of CodePink, yeah, that's the ticket!), maroon slacks, and Hydrience "Bamboo" (which translates into strawberry blonde hair this time around). I may or may not be accompanied by a comic book artist.

The First Robin of Spring

Via Avedon Carol (link at sidebar), and making sensible and necessary harmony with our own Byrd, here's Robin Cook's resignation speech to Parliament. Mark Evanier (link at sidebar) has the link for the audio up on his site. Maybe I'm just partial to the man's first name :) but I think it's a terrific speech.

But Emma, How Do You Really Feel?

Damn, this woman can write. Link at sidebar, but check out this one in particular, as well as her postings about water privatization and the World Water Forum. Emma and Anne Zook and Jeanne (Body & Soul) and Jeneane Sessum and all those others on my sidebar just blow me away, time and again.

0 comments: