Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, February 27, 2003

Philling Station

Many in the blogosphere have linked today to this fascinating article about the cancellation of the Donahue show on MSNBC. I'm reminded of the expression that goes something like "Fool me once with your conservative-bred damned lies and statistics, shame on... shame on... mumble mumble... Fool me twice, by progressives actually repeating those numbers... won't get fooled again." Everyone (including me) took it as a given that Donahue's ratings were lower than anyone's at the network besides Matthews'. Surprise! it's the "top-rated show" on the network! I can't help but wonder if that's because the cable system monopolizing our area finally carries MSNBC (which it only has for a couple months, and we still can't get the Food Network and Oxygen and BBC America and did I mention these guys have come a'calling lately?), and liberal parts of NYC tend to be a natural market for shows like this? Anyway, I've watched it from time to time but I wind up shouting back at the TV a lot, and I do find Donahue's manner rather haphazard and lazy sometimes so it's not like I'll miss it on its own face. (Update: Looks like Mark Evanier - link at sidebar - agrees with me on this one.) I'll just miss not having a decent progressive talk show on TV; The Daily Show's about the only one left.

0 comments: