Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, February 10, 2003

Board at the Switch

So I'm back at work, almost having forgotten what a depressing, claustrophic place this can be sometimes, and unfairly leaving Robin to deal with all the grown-up stuff like calling the mortgage broker and real estate attorney and inspector. And the receptionist just happens to be out today, which means I get no real chance to catch up beyond deleting most of my e-mail before I'm pushed onto a job that, in all honesty, I don't think I do that well. Oh, I "give good phone" and all that, but I'm fairly unsure where to transfer half the calls that come in. And I'm stuck, unable to work on anything that requires movement (like filing) or in programs that are only installed on my computer. I'd catch up on my online reading, but the incoming calls and coworker visits tend to interrupt my train of thought, so I find myself in the same "hurry up and wait mode" state of mind that exists most of the time when my boss is in. And the reception computer's browser doesn't support Java (and my attempt at an upgrade, per our IT person's advice, elicited an error message), so I can't even participate in my own comments section let alone others'. Still, it could be a lot worse, so mind you I'm not really complaining, just trying to keep alert. (This short entry was written over the period of about an hour, with around two dozen interruptions.)

0 comments: