Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 30, 2003

It's Da Bomb

Look, I'm just saying. Are we so sure Dubya didn't mean (re-)development of a hydrogen bomb rather than a hydrogen car? I mean, after all, "hydrogen" is easier to pronounce than "nuclear." (As we predicted, even though Dubya said "nookyoolar" umpteen times, Jay Leno never made fun of his mispronunciation - because Leno has the same fault.)

Jeff Greenfield's theory on last night's Daily Show: It's safe and expected in a State of the Union Speech to talk up anything that's like 15-20 years away from practical application. Therefore, I'm requesting that in next year's SOTU speech Dubya please discuss funding research into personal jetpacks and (or leading into) personal transporter tubes. Seriously, I've been waiting for my promised jetpack since like 1973, and I'm getting impatient.

My husband's observation, a propos of nothing: Often when people warn about an Evil Empire, it's out of envy. As in, "Hey, we should be the Evil Empire, not them!"

0 comments: