Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, December 02, 2002

A Pair of 45s Made Me Open My Eyes

Today is my 45th birthday, and contrary to the Hollies lyric used in the header I'm not planning on either shooting up the place or getting breast surgery, depending on one's interpretation of the song. Although the way the day started out here at the office, I was debating whether I should rethink the former route. I don't think it's me; as I've mentioned before, I like celebrating birthdays. I suspect this place just makes people irritable. Despite a lovely and unexpected present of perfume-I-will-never-use from the coworker in the next cubicle, I tensed up within the first half hour of arrival - terrific way to come back from a 4-day holiday. My boss is in, and has already assured me I will not be receiving my annual review as a birthday present (I've been waiting since my work anniversary back in August, and with Robin between assignments I could really use the presumed retroactive raise, even if it is just 1% or something). But little pretty things are popping up here and there, like the last stubborn birds who haven't yet migrated south. I spent the first work hour interpreting messages from callers (many of whom haven't even basic phone skills) to pass on to our telemarketers, and my second unexpected birthday present came from our receptionist, who took it upon herself to transcribe at least half the messages by hand after she'd passed on the others to me (thus proving that I'm far from the only worker capable of performing this not-to-be-done-when-my-boss-is-in task but never mind, let it go). I got flowers from one of our uber-brokers. And we had pizza for lunch. [I'd asked for sushi but was pretty sure I wouldn't get it, and I was right.] All in all, and as expected, just another day. But I'm still pleased as punch that I've made it this far, considering the alternative. (Posted at about 1:00 PM despite what the log says.)

0 comments: