Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, October 28, 2002

Whistling Down the WAV

This year Robin and I have decided to treat ourselves for our 4 December anniversary, and will be going to see the Broadway musical Dance of the Vampires, primarily because Jim Steinman wrote the music and lyrics for all the songs. (And of course when one says "wrote" in the case of Steinman one inevitably means "auto-cannibalized," so at least I'll be able to hum along to all the tunes even if the lyrics have been slightly altered.) Peter and Kath David have already seen it in previews, so if you want an early review you can check out Peter's impressions. In any case, Rob's been on his latest Steinman kick for at least the last couple of weeks, it's terrific music to listen to if you're drawing (or writing or reviewing) comics, and I'm almost but not quite getting to the point where I'm Steinman'ed out. I mean, you can't get too Steinman'ed out when his website has all these wacky, grainy video clips, particularly "Love And Death And An American Guitar" which still cracks me up every time I hear it. So Robin's been duping and listening to CDs of Steinman-written stuff, including the songs from "Whistle Down The Wind," and amid the Boy George and Tom Jones numbers it occurred to me that, as nice as Donny Osmond's rendition of "When Children Rule The World" is (oh, hush and get over it, he's got a great theatrical singing voice), my favorite is still the Japanese version performed at the Nagano Olympics. So Robin did a quick web search for a WAV file of the song in its entirety, and came up with only two snippets, one 35 seconds long and the other 58 seconds, both kinda crappy sound. Anyone out there have this song as a WAV or mp3? I'd be much obliged, thanks!

0 comments: