Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, October 31, 2002

Pointing out the Pachys

I believe I've identified one of my elephants (see previous entry). It's not a smoking gun so much as a jumping one. I have an annoying tendency (one among many, collect the set!) to speak too soon. Together with a leaning towards verbosity, it can be a lethal combination. For instance, it's stood me in no good stead at work, which I've made far more uncomfortable for myself this week than I've needed to. It's less unforgivable in the rest of my life, and certainly in this blog, as it transforms what would ordinarily be damage control into another chance to plug something. Therefore, I hereby blogroll Dirk Deppey and direct folks to Journalista's coverage of Marvel Comics this fine morning.

Today's elephant in someone else's living room is the media's shock, do you hear me shock, that the memorial service for the unabashedly liberal politician Senator Paul Wellstone turned =gasp= political! Oh my, whatever are we to do when people with partisan beliefs act all - partisan! (That's one of my Words of the Day after hearing it analyzed on last night's West Wing, a show I've just started watching but which has hooked me immediately because, darn it, it's way smarter than me and I like that sometimes. That kind of intelligence is not, by the way, to be confused with the intelligence displayed by the title character in another fine show, John Doe, which as my husband astutely pointed out is more the TV equivalent of a Google search.)

0 comments: