Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, September 14, 2002

Late Bloomer

I seem to have always come into trends a bit late to ever be mistaken for being hip and in-the-know but early enough that it's still enjoyable (at least to me) and enough folks are involved that it's not been totally abandoned yet in favor of The Next Big Thing. So it was with most things online, from e-mail to Usenet to IRC to ICQ to MUSHing (aw c'mon, somebody out there must remember MUSHes) to message boards to website building and now, weblogging. (I'm obviously still getting the hang of it, but I've figured out just enough HTML coding to change my template settings a bit, add some links on the left, etc.) And, as with everything else I "discover," I find friends who've been there before me. So a shout-out and thanks to my buddy Ampersand for actually quoting a portion of this blog in his (see link at left) and getting back in touch with me in the process! I expect a still-steep learning curve ahead of me, but that's one of the things that makes this fun, right?

And I got my first blog-generated e-mail, a cute and funny one from someone telling me about cheap houses in some rundown area in the midwest. Guess she missed the bit about "easy commute to NYC" in my "dream-house" entry. :) We went to our first estate agent today - the learning curve is pretty daunting there too, but I did find out that once we do see something we like it shouldn't take nearly as long as I'd envisaged from "yes, I want it" to moving day. We got back to another couple hours of upstairs clomping, but now it's quiet again so time for a lie-down!

0 comments: