Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Sibling Picture

Ilana did wonderfully at her bas mitzvah. Like her mother (and to a lesser extent her father) she's very soft-spoken so we had to strain a bit to hear her, but it was well worth it. As this was a Conservative-leaning-toward-Orthodox kind of affair, it was a bit different than Ariel's bas mitzvah last autumn, the only reference point Robin really had, but it was a bit more familiar to me - no candy thrown up on the bima (Ariel's do was the first I'd seen of that), and since the reception was held in the shul itself no musical instruments or the like, just a roving a cappella group performing folk songs and such. (There was no music at all during my bas mitzvah, which occurred during the mourning period for my late grandmother and was therefore forbidden.)

Also no photography, so I had to stroll outside with my mom, her sister and her brother (now matriarch and patriarch of their own growing clans) to take the traditional sibling picture. I've been taking pictures of the siblings for as long as I can remember, and most of them are stored in our attic space with other family photos. But a few are digital, and with the deepest love and admiration for my Aunt Kenie, my Uncle Phil and my mother Goldie I present them to you herewith:



This was taken at Phil's 65th birthday party, which I believe was in 2000. A bit grainy but the smiles shine through. The siblings stand in order of date of birth, with my mom in the middle, although somehow over the years I'm informed that Uncle Phil has gradually gone from youngest to oldest...



This was in 2002, at a party given for a cousin named Judy who was visiting from Israel. I was told how she was related to us but as I'm no longer the keeper of the family tree I'll leave that to Marc to expound upon if he wishes.



This was taken in 2003 at a party for my cousin Mara's daughter, my "little buddy" Faith - currently at home from college (she typed, shaking her head at how fast everyone's grown up and trying to get the "Sunrise Sunset" earworm out of her head). I love this one because they're standing in front of their mother and father's wedding picture.



And here's today's picture. My mom and I were the only family members to wear hats; most married women opted in shul for what I call the "doilies" (I'm not the only one). But hey, I'm the wife of a Brit, and in England the women pretty much don hats at every sort of semi-formal familial occasion.

I don't know how many more sibling pictures I'm likely to get, but I will keep taking them as long as I can. I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful extended family, including lots of kids coming up on their bar and bas mitzvahs in the next decade or so, and I have these three to thank for that.

0 comments: