Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Putting out the APD

Today's "Administrative Professionals Day" which of course should be called "Secretaries Day" only God forbid we elevate the largely-female pink-collar ghetto to any point of permanent recognition without also including the boys. I bitched about all this last year, but my Archives section is apparently down so you can't look it up. But I can; I wrote that APD occurs
...the day before Take Our Daughters To Work Day, recently morphing into "Take Our Daughters and Sons To Work Day" even on the official Ms. site, which completely negates the original point of the day - "to introduce girls [my emphasis] ages 9 to 15 to the workplace, and to help them feel that their future participation in the labor force is both expected and welcome" because studies have shown that girls' self-esteem plummets at that age, whereas boys' self-esteem is just fine because, after all, they know they're inheriting the upper echelons of the business world...
Where women will continue to be screwed out of having their own made-up days of recognition, even as they're screwed out of ever hoping to make a smidge of what their bosses make.

But not that I'm bitter (okay, mildly annoyed that the Pen-Elayne Archives aren't visible on the sidebar, which I'm fairly sure is a Blogger thing and not an Elayne thing). Because not only will my boss not be in today, but he just called me from the new building, standing in what he says will be my new office! Yes, after over three years in a claustrophobic cubicle I'm finally going to have a for-really office again, with privacy and everything! Given how he's pretty much ignored Secretaries Day through the years anyway, this is absolutely the best present for which I could hope. Now I have to get back to my new major project for the COO...

0 comments: