Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Both Sides of One's Mouth

This great and funny analysis by Adam Felber of how the Bush administration "clarifies" matters reminds me a bit of what Jon Stewart observed on yesterday's Daily Show (and I paraphase 'cause I don't have a tape or MP3 handy) about Bush's most recent "press conference." He showed a clip of a reporter asking about mercenaries, then Bush's response, and said something like "See what he just did? He took a legitimate question, turned it into a perceived insult, and thus refused to 'dignify' that 'insult' with a response." And it occurred to me that this is something the radical rightists have done time and time again, but I can't recall anyone actually pointing it out in such stark and obvious terms. Goodness, this show was missed last week!

0 comments: