Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Relearning Curve, Part 4

[See Part 1 here, Part 2 here and Part 3 here.]

The trouble with interviewing for my Dream Job is that the more things progress, the more nervous I become. With the last two jobs I've landed, I was interviewed by a few folks in the big boss' absence and pretty much hired immediately. With this particular position I have to work my way up, as it were. Today I went for my second interview, this time with one of my would-be bosses, an attorney who reminds me a lot of my doctor. Very composed, and she gave me lots of conversational space wherein I could express my desires and plans and hopes. And I think my brain just froze. And all the wonderful things I wanted to say to her about how much I wanted to work there, how I loved the area and atmosphere and admired the organization and I feel like I've not really had a chance to prove myself in the last few years even working hard under difficult and changing circumstances and that I know I'm competent and I'm a damned good admin assistant and I could be of so much more value there and most of all that I could do this job, really make something of it and help them so much... all of that kind of came out something of a jumble. Fortunately, she was interested in my extracurriculars, like this weblog, so with any luck she'll read it and find that some of the content makes up for any verbal stumbles I committed earlier in the day. If I'm found acceptable I'll be meeting the CEO next week. I'm not sure what to think at this point, I seem to have lost the ability to gauge how I did. So until I hear back one way or another, my current prospects are, like any chance of the local weather hitting above the freezing mark, on hold for the moment.

0 comments: