Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, December 29, 2003

Pass the Indian, Please

I just finished watching probably the best miniseries (actually a four-hour movie shown over two nights) I've seen since Gulliver's Travels. It's called Dreamkeeper, and it aired last night and this evening on broadcast TV. Robin likes to say that everything happens for a reason, and I have no trouble believing that our upstairs-now-downstairs neighbors completed their move when they did just so I could watch this series in peace. It's essentially a story about the power of storytelling, and it's absolutely wonderful. Hallmark only has the soundtrack CD for sale right now but I'm grabbing the DVD the moment it's out. I can't recommend this enough. I've always found Native American/First Nations tales among the most powerful and fascinating in the world (not the least because so many seem to involve brave women), and some of the best are recounted herein. I particularly enjoyed the way the Coyote/Inktomi stories were filmed (lots of cool camera tricks and such abound in the movie) and the recurrence of many actors in dual roles. Quite wonderful.

0 comments: